Last P-Day in the MTC! I'm so excited to fly out of here on Wednesday! At the airport I'm actually not allowed to see anyone. (That's an MTC rule, but rules are to be... uh, bent) But I wish i could see Sean there! I think some other missionaries going to Fresno are going through Phoenix to get there. That would have killed you if that was me and you couldn't see me wouldn't it? I believe I'll be at the airport and call around 10ish in the morning SLC time. So be ready! And i can basically talk for however long i want because i have almost 5 hours of waiting time there.
How is Peyton doing? It sounds like that was a miracle. Miracles happen everyday according to our faith that needs to be centered in Jesus Christ.
I really wish Jordan was here earlier so i could see him one last time! That's okay though, he'll do great. And give him my support at the temple on Aug 19. He'll have so much fun here.
So this week has been full of last minute studying and cramming. I've even had 5 or 6 days where i haven't spoken a single word of English! It truly is a miracle to have the Gift of Tongues. There is no way i know enough words in Spanish to go a whole day without using English. But through the help of the holy ghost and faith, i find that words just pop into my head that i never know. It truly is a miracle. I have never appreciated the English language so much until now. We really are lucky to live in America and know English. I see people from all over the world who don't know English and want to know it so bad.
The MTC is such a cool place! The other day i was practicing some contacts and i was contacting someone in Spanish, my companion was translating to English, and they contacted me in Haitian-Creole, and his companion translated. So we were just exchanging 3 languages and the only common language we had was English. I have had people contact me in French, Portuguese, and German, and i can understand a ton of what they say to me! It's basically Spanish with a different accent and a couple words changed here and there! There are also some people here going to New Zealand who's name-tags are split in two. One side is English and the other side is Chinese!
I can't believe that my MTC time is already done! I've loved it here and have enjoyed every minute of it! I know that this church is true. There are too many perfections in the Book of Mormon that make it true. I know that Joseph Smith translated the plates through the Lord's help. I know that our mission calls are inspired by god through a living day prophet.
At our devotional on Tuesday we heard from Elder Hammond of the 70. He is the father of my global hot spots teacher at BYU-I! His wife shared a story of a young elder who was called to Guatemala. He absolutely knew the call was mistaken. He called Spencer W. Kimball twice before he went to the LTM and once in the LTM because he was struggling with Spanish so bad. And he wanted a new call. But the prophet personally told him: no, this it where you need to be. He didn't have a single baptism and struggled with the language the whole time he was there.
His last month in Guatemala he thought his mission was a waste. One day he was tracting, and found a Japanese man holding a Book of Mormon. The Japanese guy came up to him saying: I've been looking for you guys everywhere! He says he needs the missionaries to come baptize him and his friends the next day because they ALL know that it is true. He gets to this house the next day to find this old man. He didn't have just friends, he had 65 friends that all committed to baptism that day! All of them were crammed into that little house waiting to be taught more.
The old man asks this elder if he would write his testimony on the front of the Book of Mormon. The elder asks where he got the Book of Mormon. He says that an elder gave it to me back in Japan. He writes his testimony and flips over the page to see who could have possibly written their testimony in it and given it to him. It was the Elder's own father 40 years earlier while serving in Japan. This elder baptized each of those 65 Japanese people in Guatemala.
This church is true. I love being a missionary and helping people come unto Christ.
Love,
Elder Gygi
I was working quite late, or... very motivated to arise to post this blog. You choose :)
ReplyDelete