Thursday, July 14, 2011

July 14, 2011

Hey Family!

This week has been pretty good! I feel like I have really had a strong jump on the language.  I feel so ready to go to Fresno now.  The only struggle I have is that I can only understand about half of when a native Spanish speaker talks to me, which is super good practice.

I should get my flight plans for Fresno this Saturday I believe! I'm so excited for those.  I leave the MTC for Fresno on 27 July.

Yesterday felt like the best day ever. Mostly because I got to host! (this is where the veteran MTC missionaries serve as hosts for the incoming MTC missionaries for a day) I was hosting for like 5 minutes and then I saw my friend Neil Falke!  He is the one who lived in Fresno and who was in the room next to me in at my apartment in Rexburg, Idaho.  He's got the coolest missionary name tag by far.  It's in Marshallese and some other crazy language because he's going to the middle of nowhere in the Marshall Islands.

But anyways, hosting!  I got to help out an international elder from Denmark!  He knows Dutch, German, and English.  He's going to the Greece Athens mission speaking greek! It's crazy, but I’ve heard after you learn a second language, each one after that gets easier.

Then I got to host a nice elder from Provo.  He's going to DC.  It's really weird to think that he will only leave the MTC a week after me.  I definitely feel like I'm the senior in high school here now.  Everyone knows those of us who have been here for 7 weeks now.

And after hosting we had the most intense beach volleyball match ever. I seriously felt like I was in the Olympics. And it was just the cherry on a really fun day.

Don't forget that when I get to the airport I get to call you!  I think I will need to go buy a calling card for that.

I love getting letters about home. It just feels so good to "hear" some outside voices. That dust storm in Phoenix sounds way sweet!  I wish I could have seen it!

Did you see that video of President Gelwix on LDS.org? (President Gelwix is the new mission president in Fresno) It's about the mission president seminar that was at the MTC. Most of the video is of President Gelwix.  They filmed when all of us were meeting with him and our meeting is in the video. And the video totally stops and doesn’t show me!

I'm understanding my companion a lot better now. I'm not getting as frustrated. Sometimes it just seems like he likes to pick fights. But it's a lot better. We had companion exchanges on Tuesday. I was with Elder Lewis, and it was really stress relieving.

I know that the promptings of the spirit are real and soft. We need to closely pay attention to those promptings and be worthy and in-tune so we can receive the blessings of them. I know through Jesus Christ I can help people learn that they can fully come unto Christ. I know that when we pray for blessings, we don't always directly receive those blessings. Heavenly Father blesses us with OPPORTUNITIES to do the right thing and receive blessings. I have been praying for more patience, and I’ve found that I have so much more events pop up that test my patience.  I know that this work is real and produces, as President Monson said when he was here two weeks ago for the mission presidents, the brightest of rose blossoms and important work, (or something like that). I know that I have been called to Fresno to meet the people I promised before this life that I would bring them this wonderful gospel.

Have fun this week!

Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment