Monday, August 22, 2011

Doctrine & Covenents 33:3

Elder Frost, Elder Wheeler & Elder Gygi
It sounds like you had a way fun week! Work sounds like it's going great! Jordan's farewell sounded awesome! I'm so happy to hear he used one of my first experiences. I hope he received my letter I sent to him last Monday. Have you gotten any of my letters? I sent one the first week with some pictures in it and a letter. I hope mail gets out of Sanger.

Sean sent me a letter my last week in the MTC. It was a super good letter that made me feel loved. It helped a lot. I just haven't had the time to write him back. What's his address again? I hopefully can write him today.


Bro's @ the Utah v. Louisville game
I have a great story for this week. It's about Isidro B.

He is a 56 year old humble man that has lived in Sanger for 40 or 50 years.
He was the one I committed to baptism the very day I got to Sanger.
  
He worked at the chicken farm here in Sanger for 40 years. He didn't miss a single day of work for 40 straight years! He was so dedicated to supporting and providing for his family. He worked 7 days a week for 13 hours a day.

After 40 years, he decided that he would take a vacation. He went on a plane with his wife to go see his own mother and father in Mexico. He was only there for two days when he had a massive stroke. He was paralyzed on his left side and was hospitalized for a month in Mexico. He was stabilized and flew back to Sanger. But he was still paralyzed and would never work again. (This was in 2005)

The recovery he has made has been a miracle. Now he only can't feel his face, and his left arm is paralyzed. We've been teaching him for 3 weeks now. He had a get-to-know-you interview with the Bishop last Wednesday. In this interview the Bishop asked him if he was willing to serve the lord as in cleaning the church or working in the vineyard in Madera. He looked at Bishop and said, "Bishop, I only have one arm, but I will give everything I have in that arm to serve Him."

That has inspired me so much. That Friday he had his baptismal interview. Elder Pierce was the one who interviewed him. When Isidro came out of the interview he did a fist pump and said, "I passed! And I’ve only been doing this for 3 weeks! Imagine in a year, I’ll be taking your suit and your job". We all just died laughing. He has such a strong desire to serve. 

When we were in the car on the way to the baptism, we were struggling to get his family to attend with us. He said, "I don't care if they can't come. I only care if the Lord is there with me". This guy is solid.

His baptism was amazing. Elder Rodriguez and I were the witnesses while a member baptized him. I've never felt the spirit stronger in my life, or felt happiness like that. It was a specific kind of eternal happiness because I know that it is an eternal ordinance that is being performed. 

When he came up out of the water he said, "Already? I thought I was going to swim a little more."  We just shook our heads. He is so funny. I feel like I've known Isidro for a long, long time. Maybe he was one of my friends in the pre-existence that I promised I would come out and find and bring him unto Christ. He will be a close friend of mine forever. He was one man who was prepared by the Lord and was ready to hear the message we had to share. I will forever cherish this memory.

I KNOW that there are people out there who have been prepared. They are waiting for me to listen to the small promptings of the spirit. This gospel is spotless. There is not a single flaw in it. What I tell investigators is that the Book of Mormon is either 100% true or 100% false. There is no other way. And it is your duty to pray about it and find out for yourself. And if the Book of Mormon is true, then everything else falls into place. Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and he did translate the Book of Mormon.
Hola, mi nombre es Elder Gygi.

I KNOW that I am a set-apart representative of Jesus Christ, and that I get to wear HIS name over my heart every day. It is such a privilege to me. There is no other place that can bring more blessings than the mission field. If anyone ever has the opportunity to serve a mission, DO IT. There is no other time in your life that you can be a young missionary and get to share experiences like these.

I KNOW that Satan is real. He is winning every time I ignore a prompting. Every time I am not obedient. Every time an investigator doesn't keep a commitment. Every time an investigator chooses not to answer the door. Every time someone chooses not to serve a mission.

I KNOW that Heavenly Father's powers are even STRONGER. HE wins every time we do what’s right.

I know ALL of this to be true. I love you all! I hope everyone has a good week!

Love,

Elder Gygi

No comments:

Post a Comment