Monday, July 23, 2012

The Trouble With Agency...



Hey Family!

We had a pretty fun week here. Had a way fun time going out teaching with President Gelwix. My favorite was when he would speak broken Spanish to the people. We went out and tried to see a couple people that we were dying to have him go to, but that didn't really work out. Our appointments fell through. But we were able to teach some other people. And President is an awesome teacher. He was super bold, and we would just translate for him to our investigators.

But in one of our lessons with a new family we were planning on teaching "The Restoration" lesson and getting to know them a little better. But we all just felt like we needed to read 3 Nephi 11 with them. The story of when Christ appeared to the people in the Americas. So we read that, and then committed them to read the entire chapter again and ponder and pray about it to see if it is true. And they agreed, and we left.


We went back a couple days later and knocked on the door, and the 10 year old, Juan opened up. And he just looked super excited for some reason. So we asked him what was up. And he said, "I did what you told me! I read and prayed! And guess what happened?! I got my answer!" So we asked him to describe it and tell us how he knew it was actually an answer. And he said he was praying and he just got a warm feeling of happiness that it was all true. Too perfect.

So I was just thinking, how in the world can a 10-year-old understand that well, when no one else will even give it a chance? I just don't get it. All they have to do is TRY it. It doesn't change your religious beliefs to just TRY it. But when you do actually try it, and actually get your answer like this 10-year-old, then you have to ACT on it.

I don't know. It just seems so simple and clear in my mind. And I get super frustrated when we teach it this simple, and the only ones who actually do it and understand it are the 10-year-olds! Come on people! So yeah, we're focusing on teaching simply. And if they don't even try our invitation, well, we gotta use the Lord's time to go find those who will at least give it a shot.


This past week we had to drop Julian. It was easily the hardest lesson I've had to do my entire mission. I basically told him that he already received his answer that it is all true, but he is failing to act on it. And that we can't be coming by to teach him anymore until he starts to actually change his life. And he asked us why we had spent all this time trying to help him when he doesn't even have the faith that he can change. And we basically told him that we care so much about him and know he can change. So just read and pray like we tell you, and you too can agree and have the faith to change. And we told him to call us when he's ready to act, and we'd gladly come back. But I have the faith. He already knows it's true. He'll come around, eventually. I just don't know if I'll still be here when he will.
It's all about the agency. I know that's true. I know that we have one gift from God that he physically can not take away from us. Our ability to choose. And I know it's my job to at least give people that option to choose. And that's that.


Love you all! Take care!

Love, Elder Gygi







No comments:

Post a Comment