This was such a fun week! Wasn't conference just amazing? My favorite talks were Elder Holland's in the priesthood session and the 70 who spoke right after him. They were really motivation talks that help me realize how important this missionary work is. It is no place to rest or mess around. We are dealing with eternal ordinances here.
We watched conference at the stake center in Fresno, which was about half an hour away. After the last session on Sunday we went over to a member's home for dinner. I loved it. It was lasagna and salad. All four of us Sanger missionaries went over together. And it was really weird for Elder Rodriguez and I. The table was set up all fancy and I actually had to use a fork and knife. We picked up the fork and knives and were really confused and just looked at each other and laughed. This was the first American food in like 2 months. I like eating like a Mexican everyday in Sanger. Just eat with your hands till you're full. That should be the rule of life.
So Angelo and his family.... this past week we were able to have a double lesson with them. Elder Rodriguez taught Ramona and the kids while I taught Gaby with the help of a sign language translator. It was really a neat lesson. I basically told her what we've been talking to her family about for the past 3 weeks and I asked if she wanted to be baptized. But she said no. So I had a feeling I should have Angelo and Aide come over and explain to their mom why they want to be baptized. And they told her that they want to do this as a family and that they know it's true. And then I asked her again to be baptized and she said she would! I was so stoked for her! And I was so proud of Angelo and Aide for baring testimony to their Mom. Angelo and Aide will be baptized on the 15th for sure. The Mom and Grandma will probably be a week or two after, just due to not coming to church. But they will all be baptized.
![]() |
| Oct 15, National Grouch Day |
Transfers are on the 16th so I should get a call the Saturday before then. I really want to stay with Elder Rodriguez again.
Thanks for sending that big package and the big letter with those blogs in it! I loved reading Jordan's. He sounds like he's doing so well.
So Oscar.... he is so solid right now. We went over the baptismal interview questions and he says he's ready. He reads and prays every night too! He will be baptized this Saturday!
So the biggest miracle came last night. It was 8:20 PM and I was getting pretty discouraged because we hadn't found a new investigator this whole week and we hadn't had a lesson yet. And I really doubted that we could find and teach someone in 40 minutes when it's way dark outside. We were going to contact a referral we had, but they weren't there. So we start walking back to the car, and I see this house with the light on and the door was open and I could see a lady sitting on the chair in their. I had the feeling I should go knock there but I was just thinking in my head that we've been rejected a lot today, and I didn't want any more. So we passed it and were walking to the car. Then all of the sudden we just randomly turned around and went to knock on it. The lady stood up and hung up the phone she was talking on, and opens the door. (Her name is Gloria) Before she even said a word, she started crying. Elder Rodriguez and I just look at each other. And we ask why are you sad? What's wrong?
And she said that just before we got there her husband left her. And I testify to her that I know we were sent here at this exact moment for her to come help her. And she said, "I know, it's an answer from God". We taught her right there about the atonement and how everyone goes through trials in their lives. And we set up a return appointment for Tuesday. We plan on
committing her to baptism then.
I know that there are people individually prepared everyday for me to find. I know that when I am being obedient and doing my best to achieve a goal for lessons or finding a new investigator, that the Lord will bless me and make a way to find a new investigator. There is no doubt in my mind that if we had continued to walk to the car and left, that Gloria would have never found the gospel. I KNOW how important the work I am doing is. It is the hardest work in the entire world, but it is the most rewarding work in the entire world.
Thanks for all the love and support!
Love,
Elder Gygi

No comments:
Post a Comment