Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"Open Your Mouth"


Hey Family!


This week was super crazy busy. Elder Thurman just got here on Wednesday from down in Visalia. He's way cool. He's 22, from Orem, UT, and has been out for 22 months. So yeah!


In our district, (it doesn't really have a name) I guess you could call it Fresno East District #2? But yeah, we have 6 Elders and 2 sisters in the district. And they are all Spanish except for one companionship of elders. I love this district so much. It really is the most successful district in the entire mission. Not even kidding. It's the same district I was trained in, so I’ve been here for a while. hahaha 


I definitely got my fair share of discouragements this past week. We were on bikes the entire day for a couple days last week, and there wasn't even anyone we could talk to. The F. family is moving to Texas. But their baptism is still going to be this Saturday, July 7th.


We were able to see some saahhhwweeeet miracles on Wednesday. I was able to take some of the brand new missionaries out on "open your mouth". I love new missionaries. They just look so pale and frightened. (He's forgetting that he was surely the same) It's the best. And they are just so full of energy and ready to serve. 


So basically how "open your mouth" works is, we get a new missionary right as they get off the plane, and we choose a "fun" area to talk to people in. So naturally, what does Elder Gygi do? Oh, you know me, I just chose southwest Fresno, because they are the ones who need the gospel most! So we talk to a bunch of people. This one guy rejected the new elder's first baptismal invitation, so in my mind I was like "oh heck no, this is a new missionary. You're gonna accept if it kills me." So I taught about Joseph Smith and the restoration, and then Elder Wamsley (new missionary) committed him again, and he accepted! Miracle!


Then we were about to pass up these cholos, (I had to ask what this meant, so FYI for those not knowing as well) but I decided to talk to them. I was expecting them to reject, but one of them was really receptive, and he accepted a baptismal date as well! It just goes to show that you can't judge anyone, cuz you never know who will accept!


Then at the end of "open your mouth" we went to a different area, I parked the car, and told Elder Wamsley that there was one more person who was prepared. And we got out and I asked him where we needed to go. And he pointed down this tiny street where I didn't see a single person. But we went there, and at the very end of the street, a lady comes out of her house with like 5 kids. And we start talking to her about how important her family is to her. And she said that the missionaries used to teach her all the time, but she ended up moving and never got in contact with them again. So we got her address and are going to go start teaching her! She was way excited! Miracle!


I know that people are prepared, and we are being guided. If you don't believe it, then...well I feel bad for you. IT'S TRUE. God lives and Jesus Christ is who we represent. 


And that's that.


Take care and keep your heads up!


Love, 


Elder Gygi






No comments:

Post a Comment